Why this Flag?
Simple lines and traditional colours highlight three of New Zealand’s most recognisable icons. The red kiwi draws the eye towards the heart of the flag.
Three panels of blue, white and blue. It includes Maori, British heritage and multicultural elements of NZ.
Maori Heritage elements:
- Red colour used from Tino rangatiratanga flag.
British Heritage elements:
- Red white & blue colours which evokes the NZ Ensign Flag.
- Blue colour used from NZ Flag.
- Southern Cross from NZ Ensign flag.
Multicultural Society elements:
- Blue background (representing the ocean/our colonial past) with silver fern (our natural strength & heritage);
- Southern Cross on blue sky (our future focus & place in the Southern hemisphere);
- White cloud around red kiwi (representing the NZ people at the heart of Aotearoa).
Intellectual Property Considerations
For the following icons:
- Silver Fern: An intellectual property free fern
- Kiwi: From the Royal New Zealand Air Force emblem
- The Southern Cross: Personal Design modified from the New Zealand Flag
Note: My first flag version is ID#: 14469