Why this Flag?
Colourful and evocative flag illustrating NZ’s iconography.
The colours and symbolic elements of the flag evoke New Zealand’s British and Maori history & multicultural reality.
Maori Heritage elements:
- Red white & black colours.
- Red colour used from Tino rangatiratanga flag.
- Koru (representing the nation’s growth)
British Heritage elements:
- Red white & blue colours.
- Blue colour used from NZ Flag.
- Southern Cross from NZ flag.
Multicultural Society elements:
- Southern Cross in sky (our future focus & place in the Southern hemisphere)
- Koru pointing to the left (our respect for the past) & the right toward the Southern Cross (our ambition for the future).
- Koru also form letter N or Z (New Zealand) at opposite angles.
Intellectual Property Considerations
For the following icons:
- The Southern Cross: Modified from the New Zealand Flag.