A flag incorporating NZ’s many icons, while mirroring the Tino rangatiratanga flag.
Iconography & Colours
- Centre: Kiwi recognised internationally as a NZ icon. Forms the heart of the long white cloud. The koru cloud whorls reaches out to both land and sky representing NZ’s ties to the past and future.
- RHS: Stars of the Southern Cross as per NZ Ensign flag.
- LHS: Silver Ferns: Symbolic of NZ’s national heritage
- Colours: Red, Black & White bands mirrors the Maori Flag’s earth, sky and the people between. The blue Kiwi ties the colours back to the NZ Ensign flag.
Intellectual Property Considerations
For the following icons:
- Silver Fern: From Kyle Lockwood’s design
- Stars of the Southern Cross: From the New Zealand Flag
- Kiwi: From the Royal New Zealand Air Force emblem
- Grouped Ferns: Inspired from the ferns on the cover of the New Zealand Passport